TURNING BUSINESS IDEAS INTO BUSINESS INCOME
MarketStart is owned and managed by Michelle Lochan.
This innovative business development service was created to “help businesses start in the market, the right way.”
For small business owners and not for profit directors; MarketStart focuses on:
- Complete and partial business plans
- Investor Pitch Decks
- Business Development Training and Workshops
- Strategic Planning Sessions
- Entrepreneurship Program Development
Michelle states. “MarketStart will help people with their dream of owning a business, understand what to focus on, how to find customers, how to communicate with those customers and how their business works to make sales grow.”
From the beginning of her career, Michelle started researching markets and writing business cases for US corporations including Keiser College and Springleaf (formerly American General Finance) who were seeking to expand their operations online. After starting a family and wanting to be home with her children, Michelle needed flexibility and affordable childcare options which lead to self employment and a new business venture.
Sadly the marriage deteriorated at the hands of abuse which was the catalyst for a significant life change. “The fascinating thing about going through a seemingly tragic life episode is that you are already at what you think is the bottom which makes it the perfect time to try drastically different things. This was when I decided to fully commit to my passion as a full time endeavor. I sought out a business start-up program. This type of support awakened my confidence, allowed me to heal and also think about what I wanted to create. It was with the help of this business program that I found my wings” says Michelle.
Lauded for her unique and easy-to-understand-style of teaching and writing, Michelle helps people understand what is involved in launching their own business. Her expertise is planning business activities for growth and achieving sales goals. “The most successful contracts I earned was when I could explain my business with ease. People appreciate that and I knew I was on to something,” says Michelle. Having worked with over 500 Entrepreneurs from a wide variety of life experiences, different levels of education and income levels, Michelle knows the formula to turn everyday people into happy, money-making, small business owners.
Michelle Lochan is an alumnus of the Maytree Foundation Leaders for Change program. She completed psychosocial training as a Peer Counselor at Carleton University and anti-oppressive and cultural sensitivity training through the George Brown, Assaulted Women and Children’s Counselor and Advocacy program.
Some of Michelle’s notable achievements include:
– Global First Place Winner, Hot Momma’s Project 2012-2013 Case Study Competition: The Hot Momma’s Project is the world’s largest Women’s Case Study Library featuring digital role models and mentors. Her entry was published for use at the George Washington School of Business
– Feature: The MOM Shift- Women share their stories of career success after having children by Reva Seth.
– 2012 MicroSkills Entrepreneur of the Year
– Panelist, Enterprise Toronto Small Business Forum 2012
– Guest Speaker: Start Up Canada, How She Hustles, YWCA, First Fridays
– Business Advisor: Centennial College – Centre of Entrepreneurship,
– Client Services Manager: ventureLAB – Regional Innovation Centre, York Region
“Self employment and business ownership can help people with barriers to traditional employment. This can be a catalyst to improve communities and the standard of living for its members.” – Michelle Lochan
To date Michelle Lochan and MarketStart have assisted over 500 business owners in finding solutions to their business issues.
Take your most important business steps with MarketStart today.
Michelle Lochan has a BA in Sociology and Anthropology from Carleton University and presently resides with her family in Toronto, Canada.